Updated: Jan 21
By Adela Pirillo
Welcome to Libra season! The sun is shining, the leaves are changing colours, and you’re feeling fully rested after a week off from school (or at least I hope). Although we can’t have the Halloween we imagined for 2020, here’s hoping you all still find ways to stay positive this month!
Birthday: If you were born October 22nd, happy happy happy birthday! Also, if you were born April 23rd, happy happy happy half birthday!
1. Aires (mar. 20-apr.18) : Aries, you have been so critical of yourself recently. This month, go with the flow! You cannot control everything.
2. Taurus (apr.19-may 20) : This month, check up on your friends or that special someone you’ve been missing. It is amazing how a little catching up can make you feel so much better!
3. Gemini (may 21-june 20) : You’ve been working hard on your goals this month and it shows! While things might not always go as planned, trust that you are exactly where you are meant to be.
4. Cancer (june 21-july 22) : Are things getting a little overwhelming this month, Cancers? Take some time to do a bit of self-care, even if that means a simple 30 minute nap. Relaxation will help you find peace amongst chaos!
5. Leo (july 23-aug. 22) : Changes may be taking place this month, Leos. It is important to take things one step at a time. That might help you feel more in control!
6. Virgo (aug. 23-sept. 22) : Virgos, don’t settle for less just because it is available. Take the extra step that will help your wildest dreams become reality. If anyone can do it, it's you.
7. Libra (sept. 23-oct. 22) : This month, Libras, you are unstoppable. Try helping a friend or family member feel the same way! Happiness is best when it's shared.
8. Scorpio (oct. 23- nov. 21) : Scorpios, don’t worry about the things that are not worth the struggle. Instead of stressing, focus on what makes you happy and life will fall into place.
9. Sagittarius (nov. 22-dec. 21) : This month, avoid unnecessary negativity. Even though it may seem hard, look on the bright side of every situation. You do not find the path to a happy life, you make it.
10. Capricorn (dec. 22- jan. 19) : Try not to take life too seriously this month, Capricorns. Spend time talking to your favourite people and do what makes you happy. Live a life that will make old-you proud.
11. Aquarius (jan. 20-feb. 18) : Aquarians, it is important to step away from the screens and get some fresh air. Give yourself a break every once in a while. You deserve it!
12. Pisces (feb. 19-mar. 19) : While it may be tempting to simply ignore a problem and hope that it will go away, that will not always work. For your own sake, this month, do not give up until your problems have been resolved.
Halloween Cream Cheese Brownies
By Adela Pirillo & Julie Jacques
Curiosities Editor & Managing Editor
1/2 cup of butter (1 stick)
6 ounces of chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
Cream Cheese Topping
8 ounces brick-style cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
Food colouring, preferably orange
12 chopped Oreos
1/2 cup of chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350F. Line an 8-inch square pan (or whatever you have) with parchment paper. A tip to make it stick is to spread a bit of butter first, and then add the parchment.
In a large bowl, add the butter and chocolate. Melt the two ingredients together. Allow the mixture to cool before adding the eggs. Don’t make the mistake we made and use a random chocolate bar… that’s not how it works. Baker’s brand is usually good!
Mix the eggs, sugar, and vanilla into the chocolate mixture. Have a party!
Add the flour and salt, and stir until smooth.
Fill the pan with the brownie batter and set aside.
Cream Cheese Topping
In a medium bowl, add the cream cheese, egg, and sugar. Mix until smooth. (Dance party while it mixes!)
Add the orange coloring and mix. You can make it as vibrant or pale as you’d like!
Pour mixture into the brownie layer.
At this point, if you wanna make a fancy design, go off. We did a cool swirly design on top, which can be accomplished by using the back of your spoon to mix the cream cheese and brownie mix together in vertical and horizontal motions.
Evenly sprinkle the crushed Oreos and chocolate chips onto the brownies.
Bake for about 45 minutes, or until brownies are done. A tell-tale sign that they’re done is when a toothpick comes out MOSTLY clean. If it is completely clean, they might be slightly overdone, since they keep baking after you take them out of the oven.
Cover the brownies with foil and refrigerate for at least 3 to 4 hours before slicing and serving. The cream cheese needs to be chilled and set before slicing.